Frequently Asked Questions

About Permits

How do I get a fireworks permit?

– Simply download and complete a permit application from our website HERE and take it into Service Tasmania shop before May 7th.  Make sure you fill out the form correctly and complete all sections, you permit may be refused simple because you did not complete all sections.

What do you need to get a fireworks permit?

– Read the permit application on our website that outlines the requirements HERE. Generally you need 2-3 acres of land or at least 50m from any house. If you can’t satisfy all requirement, that doesn’t necessarily mean you will not get a permit. Call us on 0429 640 715 and we can assist you

If I don’t own enough land, or I am in a restricted area, but my friend / relative does, can I use their property?

– Yes, you can nominate another property provided you consent from the land owner.

How much does a Fireworks Permit cost?

– The Government charges $74.00 (in 2015).

Can I get a permit if my property does not have enough land, but between both my neighbour and I together we do?

– Yes, this mostly applies to needing 100m from spectators fallout requirement for rockets. You may still be able to get a permit as long as they give you permission.

Can I get any fireworks without a permit?

– No, you need a permit for all fireworks.

Can you post Fireworks to VIC/NSW etc?

– Definitely not.

Can you help me with notifications?

– YES, for Cracker Night and NYE Displays only, we will issue a public notice in your locally distributed newspaper which will alert government agencies (Police Fire and Municipal Council). However, you need to complete the rest of the notifications yourself as per Part 4, Section 7 of the Permit form. Permits have a special condition that requires you to notify your neighbours at least 7 days prior to CN, and we strongly support this.  Use our template for this.

Will WorkSafe will even consider a permit application if its within that 1km of a Permanent Timber Production Zone or if livestock within 500m?

Yes they will and its likely to be accepted. You will most likely have a further requirement added to your permit which requires you to inform Forestry no later than 7 days prior to the event. They may also want to know more about extra precautions you might take in regards to potential fire prevention such as monitor winds conditions, fireworks as far away as possible from forest, fire extinguishing equipment, etc.
In regards to livestock the same will apply as above re further requirements. Whether the livestock are on your property or a neighbours, you could provide a supporting letter with your application about how you would manage the issue or discuss with worksafe.

About Purchasing Fireworks

Do you have any physical shops ?

– No, we only have our online shop. Pre order online then collect at the collection depot you nominated.

How do I order my fireworks?

– There are 2 options:

  • Use the Shopping Cart on the website.
  • Call us on 0429640715 and we can take your order

Do I have to pay for my fireworks when I order?

– You only pay on collection of your fireworks.

Is there a limit to the quantity I can buy?

– Yes, you are limited to 20Kg. The online shopping cart automatically calculates your weight and rejects the order if the weight is over 19 Kg (to allow space for the free pack).

Can I order before receiving my permit?

– Yes you can, its a great way to reserve your stock as some items may run out if you wait until later to order. If it turns out that you dont get your permit, you can cancel anytime.

Can I cancel my order?

– Yes, just reply/forward your order confirmation email to crackernight@bright-star.com.au and state that you wish to cancel the order.

How do I order when I dont have internet?

– Just email us at  sales@bright-star.com.au and send us your name, address, email address, contact number, desired products, and pick up location. We’ll send an electronic order confirmation once your order has been placed.

What if I want to add more?

– It is easiest to just create another order making sure you are monitoring your 20kg limit per permit.

About Collecting Fireworks

What payment options are there?

– Cash and EFTPOS. Credit Cards have a 1% surcharge.

What do I need to bring for collection?

– The permit holder will need to bring his permit, drivers licence, and payment.